Warner Images Gallery

Igloo, SD

The Black Hills Ordnance Depot was constructed in 1942 to meet increased ordnance handling needs caused by World War II. The facility's civilian workforce lived in federally owned housing and this residential community become known as Igloo, a name derived from the shape of the munitions storage buildings constructed at the site. The Depot was renamned the Black Hills Army Depot in 1962. The Depot closed in 1967, and it, along with the community of Igloo, were abandoned . This gallery is an aerial survey of Igloo and the Depot as it looks today. The images were taken on 8/8/07.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
Return to Gallery List